Lekan Olawoye is a proven leader who is deeply committed to the people of York South-Weston, the new Ward 5. He is passionate about working hard to make sure that the community gets what it needs to be a better place to live and that someone at city hall is finally working for you.
Lekan is always working to improve his community. From 2008-2015, he led For Youth Initiative (FYI) at Keele and Rogers Road. Lekan grew FYI into an organization serving 1,000 local youth each year.
In 2014, Lekan ran for city council, receiving thousands of votes. Since then, he has continued to find ways to give back to the community:
- He served as Co-Chair of The12: Ward 12 Community Alliance. Lekan organized information sessions as part of a pilot budget project in the Rustic neighbourhood. He helped homeowners and tenants contribute ideas for using City funds to better their community.
- He is now the Co-Chair of the Toronto Community Benefits Network (TCBN). The TCBN is working to bring more jobs to our neighbourhoods.
- He has met with residents of the Co-Op on Queens Drive to discuss ways to improve their local neighbourhood.
- He led the spring clean-up at Trethewey and Coronation Park.
- He joined with other community groups to oppose a gas-fired power plant at the Kodak/MetroLinx site.
- He helped local residents organize consultations in August of 2018 to help fix flooding issues.
Lekan’s achievements extend beyond York South-Weston. He was the first-ever chair of the Premier’s Council on Youth Opportunities, advising on a $295 million job fund. He is the founder of the Black Professionals in Tech Network. This group helps connect black professionals with each other and potential employers. A member of the Telus Community Board, Lekan plays a part in distributing over $700,000 annually to different communities.
Lekan is currently a Lead Executive at MaRs Discovery District. He works to support job seekers to build the skills to compete in the new economy. He knows that when people have opportunities, our city can flourish.
Lekan’s devotion to his community is why he is running again to represent our community at City Hall. He wants to make sure all voices are heard and that the community gets what it needs to thrive. Lekan knows that together, we can give the community the future it deserves.
Thriving communities emerge when great leaders step up to do what is needed for the people of the community. Lekan is that great leader. He stepped up to run as city councillor in 2014 and since has continued to amplify positive change in our community.
- Diana Luu, York South-Weston resident.
Lekan has played a pivotal role in creating positive change across our city. As a city, we must continue to take positive steps towards creating a more prosperous and sustainable future for all. Leaders like Lekan will help guide the way to a more inclusive city of everyone.
- John Cartwright, President of Toronto and York Region Labour Council, and Co-chair of TCBN.
In the News
- Why achieving diversity in tech requires firing the industry’s ‘cultural fit’ mentality
- Tech’s obsession with cultural fit feeds its diversity problem
- Lekan Olawoye Makes Council Bid in York-South Weston
- Our Greatest Person: Lekan Olawoye Of For Youth Initiative In Toronto
- A walk with Ward 5 candidate Lekan Olawoye
- Races to Watch: York-South Weston still waiting for its boom
- Premier's Council on Youth Opportunities
- Reports urge more diversity in tech sector to bridge 'digital divide'